News

Syndicate content
This feed was created by mixing existing feeds from various sources.
Updated: 11 min 19 sec ago

Nomura and Daiwa choose Frankfurt as post-Brexit EU base

Thu, 2017-06-22 15:00
Japanese banks’ decisions boost German city’s goal to be Europe’s main financial city

Floating fire ants warning as Storm Cindy hits

Thu, 2017-06-22 14:56
People in the southern US have been warned to avoid rafts of potentially deadly fire ants in floodwaters after a tropical storm swept in.

Imagine: EU chief channels Lennon on Brexit

Thu, 2017-06-22 13:50
The President of the European Council is channelling John Lennon with his views on Brexit.

Get ready to soar through music

Thu, 2017-06-22 13:06

Instead of paint being thrown around at the end of next week at the Lapatsa Paintball Ranch in Nicosia, lots of young bands will be adding musical colour.

From Friday to Sunday the ranch will be home to the third SOR (formerly School of Rock) festival which promises to satisfy almost every musical craving.

Speaking of cravings, there will also be popular and rare beers from BrewFellas for you to try, burgers and other grilled delights from the Serial Griller Bar and Grill, plus The Food Garden for vegetarians and those who prefer the healthier option.

There will be lots going on on the main stage with acts including the rock and stoner band The Ladderman , alternative rock band Decode, Greek funk, blues and rock band Low Budget and the band that rocks with a lot of metal, Zivanished.

The hip-hop stage will be offering just as much choice and beat with artists such as Jurasik, La Slave, Mr Tserko and Smilin Beats.

SOR Festival
Music festival with a number of different live performances. June 23-24. Lapatsa Paintball Ranch, Kato Deftera, Nicosia. 5pm. Tel: 99- 849006 or 99-120228

The post Get ready to soar through music appeared first on Cyprus Mail.

Man kills wife and then himself in the north

Thu, 2017-06-22 12:58

A mother of one in Akanthou, in the north, was shot dead by her husband who then turned the gun on himself but didn’t die immediately, the Turkish Cypriot press reported on Thursday.

Ayse Yalcin, 41, was shot several times on Wednesday evening by her husband Kemal Yalcin, 43, who is a police officer working in the village.

After murdering his wife, Kemal tried to commit suicide by shooting himself in the head. He died on Thursday morning in a Famagusta hospital.

The incident shocked the whole village and social media was full of comments condemning the act.

The couple had just moved into the new house they bought. The villagers said the couple had argued many times because of the husband’s gambling habits. It is believed that the incident happened after a similar quarrel.

The bodies of the couple was found by the brother of Kemal Yalcin, after the family’s only child, 17, sought his help when she couldn’t enter the house.

The house was sealed off pending the investigation.

The post Man kills wife and then himself in the north appeared first on Cyprus Mail.

US will take weapons from Kurds after IS defeat

Thu, 2017-06-22 12:42

The United States has told Turkey it will take back weapons supplied to the Kurdish YPG militia in northern Syria after the defeat of Islamic State, Ankara said on Thursday, seeking to address Turkish concerns about arming Kurds on its border.

Turkish defence ministry sources said US Defence Secretary Jim Mattis also promised his Turkish counterpart to provide a monthly list of weapons handed to the YPG, saying the first inventory had already been sent to Ankara.

Turkey sees the YPG as an extension of the outlawed Kurdish PKK, which has been waging an insurgency in the country’s south-east since the mid-1980s. It has said supplies to the YPG have in the past ended up in PKK hands, and described any weapon given to the force as a threat to its security.

The United States sees the YPG as an essential ally in the campaign to defeat Islamic State in Raqqa, the jihadists’ main urban base in Syria. The fight for Raqqa was launched two weeks ago, piling pressure on Islamic State which also faces defeat in its Iraqi stronghold of Mosul.

Mattis told Turkish Defence Minister Fikri Isik that a detailed record of all equipment provided to the YPG was being kept and that all the weapons would be taken back after Islamic State was defeated, the sources said.

In a letter to the minister, Mattis also said that Arab fighters would form 80 per cent of the forces which will recapture Raqqa. Once the mainly Sunni Arab city was taken, it would be held by Arab forces, the sources said he told Isik.

Relations between the Nato allies have been strained by President Donald Trump’s decision to arm the YPG, despite protests from President Tayyip Erdogan who set out Turkey‘s objections at a White House meeting last month.

Erdogan has said Turkey would retaliate against the YPG if it felt it was threatened by the group.

A Syrian war monitor and Kurdish sources said on Wednesday that Turkey had sent military reinforcements including troops, vehicles and equipment into an area of northern Syria where it has been fighting Islamic State and YPG forces.

Turkish officials have not commented, but the British-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said Turkish reinforcements headed south of Azaz town, which is held by Turkish-backed Syrian rebels and is close YPG-controlled territory.

The post US will take weapons from Kurds after IS defeat appeared first on Cyprus Mail.

May says other tower blocks have combustible cladding

Thu, 2017-06-22 12:39

A number of British tower blocks have combustible cladding, Prime Minister Theresa May said on Thursday, citing the results of tests conducted after a fire killed at least 79 people in London.

Flames spread rapidly up the 24-storey residential tower block last week, trapping people inside, in what was Britain’s worst blaze since World War Two. Exterior cladding added during a refurbishment may have played a part, residents have said.

The disaster heaped pressure on Prime Minister Theresa May, already fighting for her political survival after a snap election saw her party lose its parliamentary majority. It has acted as a focal point for anger at government cuts to local authority funding and drawn accusations of criminal negligence.

“(We) should of course be careful on speculating what caused this fire, but as a precaution the government has arranged to test cladding on all relevant tower blocks,” May told parliament.

“Shortly before I came to the chamber, I was informed that a number of these tests have come back as combustible.”

She said local authorities and fire services had been informed and were taking steps to make affected buildings safe and to inform residents.

May has launched a public inquiry into the fire and police have announced a criminal investigation.

May said tests on the cladding of Grenfell Tower where the fire blazed would be made public in the next 48 hours.

“This has been a wake-up call for the whole country,” said Jeremy Corbyn, leader of the opposition Labour Party.

“Residents of tower blocks all over the country are concerned, worried and frightened for their own safety. What we need is a step change in our attitude towards housing in this country.”

After apologising for a slow state response to the fire, May said it was right that the head of the local council had resigned. Nicholas Holgate, chief executive of Kensington and Chelsea council, said he was forced out by the government.

The post May says other tower blocks have combustible cladding appeared first on Cyprus Mail.

No royal wants to be king or queen, Prince Harry says

Thu, 2017-06-22 12:36

Prince Harry said no one in Britain’s royal family wants to be king or queen and criticised a decision to force him to parade behind his mother Princess Diana’s coffin after her death in 1997, according to an interview with a US magazine.

“We are not doing this for ourselves but for the greater good of the people … Is there any one of the royal family who wants to be king or queen?” Harry, 32, who is fifth in line to the throne, told the Newsweek magazine

“I don’t think so, but we will carry out our duties at the right time.”

Queen Elizabeth, 91, has been on the throne since 1952 and is currently the world’s oldest and longest reigning monarch. Harry said they wanted to carry on her work but her family would not be “trying to fill her boots”.

“The monarchy is a force for good,” he said. “We don’t want to dilute the magic … The British public and the whole world need institutions like it.”

Harry, along with his elder brother William and William’s wife Kate, has become a prominent mental health campaigner, citing his own anguish and emotional struggles following the death of his mother in a Paris car crash 20 years ago and disclosing how he sought counselling to help him cope.

In the interview, Harry said how the decision to make him walk behind her coffin as the funeral cortege slowly made its way through the packed streets of London in front of huge crowds of mourners when he was just 12 had had a lasting impact.

“My mother had just died, and I had to walk a long way behind her coffin, surrounded by thousands of people watching me while millions more did on television,” he said.

“I don’t think any child should be asked to do that, under any circumstances. I don’t think it would happen today.”

The prince, who is dating US actress Meghan Markle, last year criticised the media for intruding into her private life and he told Newsweek that he tried to live an “ordinary life” despite the huge global attention he attracts.

He said even if he were king, he would do his own shopping.

“I sometimes still feel I am living in a goldfish bowl, but I now manage it better,” he said.

“People would be amazed by the ordinary life William and I live. I do my own shopping. Sometimes, when I come away from the meat counter in my local supermarket, I worry someone will snap me with their phone.

“But I am determined to have a relatively normal life, and if I am lucky enough to have children, they can have one too.”

The post No royal wants to be king or queen, Prince Harry says appeared first on Cyprus Mail.

Stolen British supercars shipped to Thailand

Thu, 2017-06-22 12:35
More than 120 supercars were seized as authorities dismantled an elaborate tax avoidance scam in Britain and Thailand.