News

Syndicate content
This feed was created by mixing existing feeds from various sources.
Updated: 12 min 12 sec ago

Man charged after trying to run over police officer

Thu, 2017-06-22 18:43

A 42-year-old man who was charged with attempted murder on Wednesday after trying to run over a female police officer with his car in Limassol, was remanded on Thursday for five days.

The man was initially charged with reckless behaviour, public insults and threats and negligent driving, but police decided to add the attempted murder charge after assessing the seriousness of the offence.

The incident occurred after police pulled the 42-year-old driver over in Ilioupolis street at around 10.30am and fined him for not wearing a seatbelt. The man tore up the fine in front of the police officer and left the scene, only to return a few minutes later in a different vehicle, a van with which he attempted to run her over.

The officer had to run to the other side of the road to avoid the van, which missed her by about a metre.

Before he sped off, the driver allegedly told her she was lucky not to have been hit and urged her to stay put so that he could have another go.

After he was told that he would be investigated for attempted murder, the suspect reportedly denied that he had tried to hit the officer with his car, and said he had hit the brakes trying to avoid her, as she was standing in the middle of the street.

Police are looking for a person who was a co-passenger in the van when the incident occurred. They are also examining footage from surveillance cameras in the area.

The post Man charged after trying to run over police officer appeared first on Cyprus Mail.

Paphos family victims of second criminal attack

Thu, 2017-06-22 18:30

A Paphos family assaulted in their home on June 8 have again become victims of crime after vandals smashed in their car window on Thursday morning.

The perpetrators, who broke the window at around 4am, didn’t take anything from the vehicle before they fled.

Two weeks ago, three members of the same family were assaulted in the early morning hours in their home in Kato Paphos.

Hooded perpetrators broke into the home through the rear aluminium kitchen door at around 3.30am on June 8.

They went up the stairs to the first floor and in the bedroom, they beat and tied up the wife before beating the daughter who had been sleeping in another bedroom.

However, when they tried to subdue the husband, he reacted and attacked the men together with his daughter, forcing them to flee the scene.

Police at the time said the suspects did not take anything from the house while the owner told officers he didn’t suspect anyone nor did he have differences with anybody.

The post Paphos family victims of second criminal attack appeared first on Cyprus Mail.

Home Capital/Buffett: Canada why

Thu, 2017-06-22 18:28
Another sweetheart deal for the Opportunist of Omaha

An ode to weirdness in contemporary dance

Thu, 2017-06-22 18:26

The 20th Cyprus Contemporary Dance Festival continues on Saturday with the Austrian participation at the Rialto theatre in Limassol.

The Liquid Loft dance group of the famous choreographer Chris Haring will present an ode to weirdness and messiness, set to the controlled chaos of grimaces and erupting dance.

The dance group, which performed on our island in 2011 as part of the European Dance Festival, thrilled the audience at the time, and the dancers are ready to do it again. This time the piece is ‘Candy’s Camouflage’, a dreamlike piece which is surreal and ambiguous.

Projections of the feminine – or what one may take for it – are called up in this piece. Deceptive stereotypes and fragile clichés are put to the tests they deserve. In ‘Candy’s Camouflage’, the colourful frenzy of previous pieces dissolves into the moody black and white of film noir. What remains are the tools of camouflage and deception, providing the possibility of creating a new self again and again.

The Austrian choreographer Chris Haring has worked with choreographers and companies such as DV8 Physical Theatre (London), Nikolais/Luis Dance Cie (USA), man act (UK), Nigel Charnock (UK), pilottanz et.al. One of the main influences on his performances, such as Fremdkorper (Best Performance at Biennale de La Danse in Lyon 2004) is science fiction and the human body as a cybernetic landscape. Since 2005, he has been artistic director of Liquid Loft.

In 2010 Chris Haring received the Outstanding Artist Award for performing arts from the Austrian Federal Ministry of Arts (BMUKK).

Candy’s Camouflage
Performance by Chris Haring as part of the 20th Cyprus Contemporary Dance Festival. June 24. Rialto theatre, Limassol. 8.30pm. €20 festival pass/ €5 single performance. Tel: 77-777745

The post An ode to weirdness in contemporary dance appeared first on Cyprus Mail.

Mourners remember US student held prisoner by N.Korea

Thu, 2017-06-22 18:14

Thousands of friends and family members gathered in suburban Cincinnati on Thursday to say goodbye to an American student who died days after returning to the United States in a coma following 17 months in captivity in North Korea.

Otto Warmbier, 22, was arrested in the reclusive communist country while visiting as a tourist. He was brought back to the United States last week with brain damage, in what doctors described as state of “unresponsive wakefulness,” and died on Monday.

Some 2,500 mourners attended a Thursday morning memorial at Wyoming High School in the Cincinnati suburb of Wyoming. Warmbier, who graduated from the school as salutatorian in 2013, will be buried at a local cemetery later in the day.

The exact cause of his death is unclear. Officials at the University of Cincinnati Medical Centre, where he was treated, declined to provide details, and Warmbier’s family asked the Hamilton County Coroner on Tuesday not to perform an autopsy.

Warmbier’s brother and sister spoke at Thursday’s memorial, as did a number of his friends, said attendee Fred Koss.

“I had to come out to support the family, and also just to show, in my opinion, the North Korean government that we are a dignified country, unlike them,” said Koss a 70-year-old Wyoming resident.

A program for the memorial carried a quote from Andy Bernard, a character on the television show “The Office”: “I wish there was a way to know you’re in the good old days before you’ve actually left them.”

Warmbier was scheduled to graduate this year from the University of Virginia’s McIntire School of Commerce.

“He was able to connect with grownups and children, and he was one of those people that made you feel like you were his best friend, even though you had just met him,” said his college counselor, Cynthia Meis, who attended the service.

“He was genuine and authentic, and so smart.”

Warmbier was travelling in North Korea with a tour group. He was arrested at Pyongyang airport as he was about to leave.

He was sentenced two months later to 15 years of hard labour for trying to steal an item bearing a propaganda slogan from his hotel, North Korea state media said.

Warmbier’s treatment was “appalling,” US Senator Rob Portman of Ohio told reporters outside the memorial.

North Korean officials told US envoys that Warmbier contracted botulism after his trial and lapsed into a coma after taking a sleeping pill. The family disbelieves that account.

Warmbier’s death has only heightened tensions aggravated by dozens of North Korean missile launches and two nuclear bomb tests since last year.

The post Mourners remember US student held prisoner by N.Korea appeared first on Cyprus Mail.

Trump: I did not tape Comey meetings

Thu, 2017-06-22 18:11
Donald Trump has admitted that he did not make secret recordings of his meetings with former FBI director James Comey, but left open the possibility that someone else might have done.

Trump says he did not record conversations with Comey

Thu, 2017-06-22 18:10

US President Donald Trump said on Thursday he did not make and does not possess any tapes of his conversations with James Comey, after suggesting last month that he might have recordings that could damage the former FBI director.

“With all of the recently reported electronic surveillance, intercepts, unmasking and illegal leaking of information, I have no idea whether there are ‘tapes’ or recordings of my conversations with James Comey, but I did not make, and do not have, any such recordings,” Trump wrote on Twitter.

Lawmakers investigating allegations of Russian meddling in the US 2016 election had asked the White House for any such recordings of Comey, who Trump fired in May.

Shortly after dismissing Comey, Trump mentioned the possibility of tapes in a Twitter post.

“James Comey better hope that there are no ‘tapes’ of our conversations before he starts leaking to the press!” Trump wrote on Twitter on May 12.

The Russia issue has cast a shadow over Trump’s first five months in office, distracting from attempts by his fellow Republicans in Congress to reform the US healthcare and tax systems.

Comey’s firing and its aftermath caused a political firestorm. He testified before a Senate committee that Trump had asked him to drop a probe into former national security adviser Michael Flynn and his alleged ties to Russia.

Trump has privately told aides that the threat of the existence of tapes forced Comey to tell the truth in his recent testimony, a source familiar with the situation said.

Earlier on Thursday, CNN reported that two top US intelligence officials have told investigators Trump suggested they publicly deny any collusion between his campaign and Russia, but they did not feel he had ordered them to do so.

Director of National Intelligence Dan Coats and National Security Agency Director Admiral Mike Rogers met separately last week with investigators for Special Counsel Robert Mueller and the Senate intelligence committee, according to CNN.

The two senior officials said they were surprised at Trump’s suggestion and found their interactions with him odd and uncomfortable, but they did not act on the presidents’ requests, CNN reported, citing sources familiar with their accounts.

The Kremlin has denied US intelligence agencies’ conclusion that Moscow tried to tilt the election campaign in Trump’s favour, using such means as hacking into the emails of senior Democrats.

Trump has denied any collusion, and he continued to cast doubt on the investigations in a series of tweets on Thursday morning.

The post Trump says he did not record conversations with Comey appeared first on Cyprus Mail.

Anastasiades talks security and guarantees with Merkel, Macron (Updated)

Thu, 2017-06-22 18:01

By Angelos Anastasiou and Elias Hazou

AS PRESIDENT Nicos Anastasiades met European leaders on Thursday in Brussels where the government said they backed the Republic’s positions on security and guarantees, the draft common document that will steer negotiations on the issues in Crans-Montana sparked more controversy as parties were briefed in Nicosia.

On the sidelines of the European Council summit in Brussels, Anastasiades held separate meetings with French President Emmanuel Macron and German Chancellor Angela Merkel.

Government spokesman Nicos Christodoulides later told reporters that during the meetings the president brought his French and German counterparts up to date on the Cyprus reunification talks ahead of next week’s multilateral conference om Switzerland on June 28.

In both meetings, said Christodoulides, both foreign leaders conveyed to Anastasiades that they share Nicosia’s position that “in the year 2017, we cannot be talking about guarantees by third countries, or occupation troops staying on in an EU-member state.”

Macron and Merkel also discussed with Anastasiades EU-Turkey relations. With the French leader, Anastasiades talked also about bilateral relations, in particular defence and energy cooperation.

Christodoulides also revealed that on Monday foreign minister Ioannis Kasoulides is due in Paris, where he will be meeting with his French counterpart as well as with the Macron’s chief diplomatic advisor.

“There is increased interest in developments in the region, and it was agreed that these contacts with the French President and the German Chancellor continue in the near future,” the spokesman said.

On Friday morning Anastasiades is set to meet with British prime minister Theresa May, and later with Greek prime minister Alexis Tsipras.

Meanwhile, Greek Cypriot chief negotiator Andreas Mavroyiannis was tasked on Thursday with briefing Edek leader Marinos Sizopoulos and Solidarity’s Eleni Theocharous on its contents. UN Special Advisor Espen Barth Eide delivered the document to Mavroyiannis and Turkish Cypriot negotiator Odzil Nami on Wednesday morning.

“This document is named ‘common’, but common it is not,” Sizopoulos said, adding that it contained “very negative elements”.

“It was prepared by Eide, and our side is expected to submit its views. But what happens if our suggestions are not accepted? Does our side reject it? Does it attend the conference or not?” Sizopoulos said.

He also expressed concern that the conference’s agenda would include internal aspects of the Cyprus problem, “ostensibly as they relate to constitutional security”.

“One can easily identify the huge risks this process can pose, as it can lead to either additional concessions by our side or cause our side to reject them and be blamed for the breakdown,” he said.

“We have made recommendations to the negotiator. It is up to the President and his advisers to make use of them if they want.”

After being briefed by Mavroyiannis, Theocharous called the document a “façade for Turkish positions”.

“We saw the document but did not receive it,” she said. “Although it supposedly records the views of the Greek and Turkish Cypriot sides, and references the views of Greece, Turkey, and the United Kingdom, in reality it reflects the Turkish positions.”

Theocharous said Solidarity will be represented in the Greek Cypriot delegation in Crans-Montana by deputy chairman Polis Pallikaros.

“We intend to contribute through recommendations, arguments, concerns, and disagreements,” Pallikaros said. “But in order for this to happen, the president must brief us before his meetings. If Mr Anastasiades briefs us after the fact of what he has already done, there is no point in us being in Switzerland.”

Meanwhile, the Green party, which was briefed on the document on Wednesday afternoon, called for the removal of Eide’s proposal for an “implementation treaty”.

An agreed framework for the implementation of the solution had been a Greek Cypriot demand, and the Greens voiced strong objection to the proposed signing of such a treaty.

“Eide’s proposal calls for an ‘implementation agreement’ to be signed by the three guarantor countries and the ‘united republic of Cyprus’,” the party said. “If this proposal were to be accepted, the three guarantors’ role would be preserved, the Republic of Cyprus would be dissolved prior to the solution, and President Anastasiades’ position that implementation should be undertaken by international organisations would be scrapped.”

In contrast, ruling Disy vice-president Nicos Tornaritis said the document was moving “in the right direction”.

“But it remains a working paper,” he said. “Our side has always demanded a guarantee for the implementation of a solution. Let me remind that this was one of the main reasons our people rejected a UN peace plan.”

Tornaritis was referring to the 2004 peace plan, rejected in a referendum by 76 per cent of Greek Cypriots. Then President Tassos Papadopoulos, who had campaigned for a “resounding no”, had argued that there was no guarantee Turkey would meet its obligations under the plan’s provisions.

In the north, Turkish Cypriot leader Mustafa Akinci held a one-hour meeting with the leaders of the parties to discuss the upcoming conference and the UN’s common document.

Following the meet, Turkish Cypriot ‘prime minister’ Huseyin Ozgurgun was quoted as saying that unless “a serious development arises” he would not attend the conference.

Referring to the common document, Ozgurgun said it contained no clear-cut positions, and predicted that it would leave both sides unsatisfied.

The post Anastasiades talks security and guarantees with Merkel, Macron (Updated) appeared first on Cyprus Mail.

Seminar hears how cervical cancer could be prevented

Thu, 2017-06-22 17:59

New cases of cervical cancer in Cyprus could be cut by increased use of vaccinations against the human papillomavirus (HPV) and Pap smears, speakers told a seminar in Nicosia.

Around 40 new cases of cervical cancer – which is one of the most common types of cancer in women – are recorded each year in Cyprus.

“Cervical cancer is a real problem in our country, but now it is possible to prevent it,” Director of the Department of Pathology and Oncology at the Cyprus Centre for Oncology Dr Dimitris Papamichail told the lecture organised by the Cyprus paediatrics, gynaecology and obstetrics societies.

He added that the treatment of cervical cancer is very difficult not only from a medical but also from a psychological aspect, both for patients and their families.

Professor of Pediatrics and Infectious Diseases at the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens Dr Vassiliki Papaveangelou, stressed the importance of prevention through HPV vaccination, which she said can prevent up to 90 per cent of cases of cervical and vulvar cancer, 85 per cent of cases of cancer of the vagina and 95 per cent of cases of rectal cancer.

Referring to her long experience with vaccines against HPV and their proven efficacy and safety, she said that it explains why they are unreservedly recommended by all international organizations such as the World Health Organization and the European Medicines Agency.

University of Athens Professor of Ostetrics and Gynaecology Dr Efthymios Deligeoroglu said there is a very high incidence of HPV worldwide and in Cyprus, especially among young people.

He also said that the Pap smear test is a very useful tool for doctors, although he said the test cannot lead to the elimination of cervical cancer because many women neglect to have themselves examined and because precancerous lesions are not treated promptly.

Cyprus cancer patients’ association Pasykaf estimates that around 5,000 girls aged 12 and 13 have so far been given the free HPV vaccine in schools. This number corresponds to almost 60 per cent of female high school pupils who responded to the health ministry’s offer of a free vaccine. This was the first year the vaccine was administered to pupils aged between 12 and 13 in all schools, state and private. The goal is to increase the response rate to 80 per cent and to expand the programme to include male pupils as well.

The post Seminar hears how cervical cancer could be prevented appeared first on Cyprus Mail.

‘Financial assistance’ allegations at the heart of Barclays case

Thu, 2017-06-22 17:52
SFO alleges violation of law aimed at preventing companies from deceiving creditors

Position taken by Barclays ruled out DPA deal with fraud agency

Thu, 2017-06-22 17:41
Bank did not accept there had been criminality when it struck side deals with Qatar